Home > Resources, Southern System Planning > Draft Planning Panel Minutes for Videoconference Meeting 03.11.2011

Draft Planning Panel Minutes for Videoconference Meeting 03.11.2011

March 17th, 2011

Southern System Planning
Friday, March 11, 2011

Videoconference Sites: ISL, LCLS, LTLS, RPLS, ShLS
3:30 PM – 5:30 PM

Attending at:

 

 

 

ILS:

Anne Craig, Lawren Tucker, Greg McCormick, Mary Ann Pohl (RPLS Alt), Nina Wunderlich (RPLS)

 

LCLS:

Leslie Bednar, Juliette Douglas, Ron Coleman, JoAnn Nabe, Diane Steele, Linda McDonnell, Marian Albers (ShLS), Audience: Tina Hubert

 

LTLS:

Jan Ison, Ramona Rollins, Rochelle Funderburg, Nina Pals, Rosanne Reidner, Scott Drone-Silver (Alt)

 

RPLS:

Val Green, Richard Helton, Bev Obert, Doris McKay, Mike Syzmkoski, Audience: Maria Dent

 

SHLS:

Ellen Popit, Traci Edwards, Christine Fine, Karen Bounds, Andrea Witthoft

 

 

 

Absent:

 

 

 

LCLS:

Elaine Steingrubey (Alt), Harriett Zipfel (Alt)

 

LTLS:

Allen Lanham, Anita Trame (Alt)

 

RPLS:

Amy Ihnen

 

SHLS:

Tom Turner, Arlene Dueker (Alt), Susan Yallaly (Alt)

 

 

 

 

 

 

Bev Obert gave instructions on how to be compliant with the Open Meetings Act during the videoconference.

Jan Ison noted the minutes from the February 25-26, 2011 meeting would be approved at the next meeting. Jan also updated the Planning Panel on the domain name for the new system: IllinoisHeartland.com, IllinoisHeartland.info, IllinoisHeartland.mobi and three or four other variations have been purchased. Troy Brown is setting up Gmail for the email addresses.

Bev Obert reported that Phil Lenzini had applied for the FEIN # and registered the servicemark with the Secretary of State’s Office. They were registered with Phil’s address until such time as the new system established a headquarters. Bev then checked for questions by doing a round-robin of the sites. There were no questions.

Bev Obert asked Mike Syzmkoski to report on the work done by the fiscal officers on the first two parts of the Application for Merger: the complete list of all liabilities of the library system and the complete lists of all assets of the library system including detailed equipment descriptions. Mike noted that the fiscal officers had worked together to insure that the information presented by each of the existing systems was reported in the same way and that all the documents had been posted on Basecamp in pdf format. Juliette Douglas noted that they had all agreed on the formats for all the numbers presented. Christine Fine noted that the numbers will change, but that this data was an accurate snapshot as of 2/28/2011. Ramona Rollins noted that any comparisons would be apples to apples. Jan Ison asked if the information could also be available in Excel. Each of the fiscal officers indicated that yes it could. Greg McCormick was asked if he had any questions for the fiscal officers and he indicated that he did not at this time. Bev Obert noted that the fiscal data for the northern system’s application would be as of 10/31/2010, due in large part to their having lost many of the staff members for responsible generating the needed reports.

Bev Obert asked the Planning Panel members to turn their attention to the narrative portion of the application starting with “C. Distribution – Assets & Liabilities”. Jan Ison asked what the rational was for the dates in this section. Juliette Douglas indicated that the dates were established in order to allow time to complete sales, so that the information would be available for the new system by July 1st. Rochelle Funderburg indicated that the “musts” could present a problem for the systems attempting to complete sales of property. Bev Obert asked if changing the “must” to “should” would fix this. Rochelle indicated the either would be problematic. Greg McCormick indicated that there would be no penalty with the ISL should these dates not be met and that the document was more of a management tool for the transition board. There was discussion about the time constraints since there would be two board meetings required to meet the guidelines in the Law and get the approval of the ISL to dispose of the surplus equipment. Karen Bounds suggested a revision of the second paragraph removing the musts. Further discussion and suggestions by Scott Drone-Silver resulted in the removal of the reference to June 6th.

Original paragraph C. 2: All inventory declared surplus must be sold prior to May 30, 2011 and must be reported to the Illinois Heartland Library System Transition Board prior to June 6, 2011 so it can be removed from the asset list. All remaining assets as listed at that time will be transferred to the new system effective July 1, 2011.

Revised paragraph C. 2: All inventory declared surplus sold or given away must be reported to the Illinois Heartland Library System Transition Board by June 30, 2011 so it can be removed from the asset list. All remaining assets as listed at that time will be transferred to the new system effective July 1, 2011.

Jan Ison asked that the references to LLSAP in paragraph be expanded to explain the acronym and list the four current LLSAP names and that the reference to fund be revised to read fund(s), since the LCLS LLSAP has multiple funds.

Original paragraph C. 4: As of June 30, 2011, each LLSAP proprietary fund will remain in separate accounts and used to support that LLSAP. The current LLSAPs will retain their current governance structure, fee schedule, and policies until such time, as each LLSAP joins the shared database. Effective July 1, 2011, the Illinois Heartland Library System will become the fiscal agent for those LLSAPs that currently have a library system as their fiscal agent.

Revised paragraph C. 4: As of June 30, 2011, each Local Library System Automation Program (LLSAP) (Gatnet, LINC, Silnet, RPLS) proprietary fund(s) will remain in separate accounts and used to support that LLSAP. The current LLSAPs will retain their current governance structure, fee schedule, and policies until such time, as each LLSAP joins the shared database. Effective July 1, 2011, the Illinois Heartland Library System will become the fiscal agent for those LLSAPs that currently have a library system as their fiscal agent.

It was asked if the sites could take a brief break to review the document. From 4:15-4:25 the videoconference was muted so that the attendees at each of the sites could read the document. At the end of the break it was announced that Anne Craig and Lawren Tucker had joined the videoconference at the ISL site.

Ellen Popit asked that the April notes that the references to staffing be done consistently to indicate if it references current system staff or new system staff. Jan Ison asked if the Executive Director might be called something else. Bev Obert asked why. Jan indicated that she felt the term was not generic enough. There was a discussion regarding the use of Executive Director when the Transition Board may decide to hire an interim director rather than a permanent director. Rochelle Funderburg indicated that the Transition Board would need to make this decision earlier rather than later. Juliette Douglas indicated that from an HR standpoint that once the Transition Board made this decision that it would be a 15 minute process to go from the existing job description to an advertisement for the position. The consensus was that the term Executive Director was appropriate and that it would be the decision of the Transition Board how extensive the search would be and whether the position would be filled by an interim or permanent director. Bev Obert suggested that the two bullet points be combined and a bullet point be added above for discussing the options with regard to filling the Executive Director position.

Juliette Douglas asked if the Transition Board could address at their March meeting the options for IMRF coverage for retirees and Cobra, as this would impact the bids for insurance that the fiscal officers were seeking.

Leslie Bednar asked that the Delivery Plan on page two be changed to Delivery Standards.

Miriam Albers asked why the Transition Board was being asked to take action on the Membership Standards at their April meeting when the ISL and Northern systems would be working on developing a statewide standard for membership. Bev Obert noted that the new system must adopt Membership Standards for their plan of service even though those standards would certainly change.

Ellen asked if all existing staff will be carried over. Bev indicated that yes, they would probably prefer to leave it open as needed. Ellen asked that the date be removed out of consideration for the staff. Jan Ison asked if in March the Transition Board could address IMRF retiree purchases of insurance as an action item. Diane Steele noted that we need to insure that this is in place. Nina Wunderlich asked if this would also be true for current retires as well as new retirees. Juliette Douglas indicated that this would be up to the new entity. Rochelle Funderburg indicated that this should be a part of the RFP for health insurance. Mike Szymkoski indicated that the larger group might give the new system more leverage in its search for health insurance.

Bev Obert asked if the application was good enough to go to the individual system boards for approval. If so, she would put up a clean version in Basecamp which could be taken to the boards at their meetings later this month.

Jan Ison noted that she was having trouble getting enough of her transition board members to be able to attend a live meeting in Effingham on the 29th or 30th of March as originally planned. Ellen Popit noted that she had contacted Effingham HS and that they could meet there. Miriam Albers asked if they could have a Doodle poll for meeting dates. Diane Steele asked if two hours would be enough time to address all the agenda items. Jan will send out dates in March for a live meeting, including a Saturday, as well as possible dates for April and May for videoconference meetings for the Transition Board.

Action: Rochelle Funderburg moved that the Merger Application be approved as amended and
be sent to the local system boards for adoption. Ron Coleman seconded the motion.

A roll call vote was called: Ayes – Marian Albers, JoAnn Nabe, Diane Steele, Linda McDonnell, Ron Coleman, Mary Ann Pohl, Nina Wunderlich, Karen Bounds, Andrea Witthoft, Rochelle Funderburg, Rosanne Reidner, Nina Pals, Scott Drone-Silver, Val Green, and Richard Helton. Nayes- none. Abstentions –none. The motion passed with all ayes.

Next Actions: Application for Merger as amended goes to the individual system boards for adoption.

Meeting and Facilitation Review
Plus/Delta
Jan Ison indicated that she will continue to generate an action item list from each meeting, so that all know what actions are to be taken.
Karen Bounds noted that individuals should watch their local comments and paper shuffling during the videoconference. Comments should not be rude and all should be able to hear. Ron Coleman noted that he did not think anyone had been rude.
Jan Ison noted that the phone noise had been because no one had logged on the conference call option.
JoAnn Nabe asked that the pages of documents presented be numbered for easier citation. Linda McDonnell asked if the March 30th date for the Transition Board meeting was firm. Jan Ison indicated that it was not and that she would send out a Doodle Poll with additional dates. Dick Helton indicated that he felt the meeting went very well. Mary Ann Pohl noted that she appreciated not having to drive.

At 5:32 Ron Coleman moved that the meeting be adjourned. Scott Drone-Silver seconded the motion. The motion passed with all ayes.

(PDF) version of Minutes

Comments are closed.